Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (180 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • HCDL-ngp-H004-02-001_u.jpg

    A photograph of Martin's Fine Jewelry & Gifts Store, located at 8439 East Grand River Avenue, in the Brighton Mall, Brighton, MI 1970.
  • HCDL-ngp-H004-02-003_u.jpg

    An image of downtown Brighton, Michigan, East Grand River Avenue.   In the background is 140 East Grand River, a Blacksmith shop that later was The Marine Bar, and currently houses Champs Pub. (2022)
  • HCDL-ngp-H004-02-006_u.jpg

    This postcard is labeled, "National Bank and Lincoln Hotel - Mill & Grand River, Brighton, MI" and is dated September 3, 1925.
  • HCDL-ngp-S004-06-0004_u.jpg

    State Street, Howell, Michigan - 1935

    Building signs from left to right: Howell Recreation, Willards ?, Saly Ude Frocks, Consumers Power Co., Ben J. ? Plumbing ?

    View Current Location
  • HCDL-gn-Teeple-N043A_u.jpg

    This is a unknown group of persons standing on the sidewalk in front of a business believed to be in Livingston County, Michigan.
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0018_u.jpg

    Photos showing the fire that happened on October 5, 1892 on the block east of East St. (present day Michigan Ave.) and North of Grand River in Howell, Michigan. The damage was estimated at $50,000.  Frank Hickey and Ed Wines perished. Some businesses shown in the photos are Ed K. Johnson Drugs and Henry C. Briggs Jeweler. They are both in the same building that was built in 1889. Current address of that building is 112 E Grand River Rd, Howell, MI 48843. This entire block had burned in 1887.

    There is an additional photo "The Champion Fire Extinguisher During the Fire of 1892" on page 127 of The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 Part 2.

    View page page 122 of The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 Part 2 for another picture after the fire.

    View the Exhibit this Item is related to.
  • HCDL-ngp-I001-01-0042_u.jpg

    Howell Foundry and Machine Shop, Howell, Michigan - 1873 1st Methodist church is in foreground on the northwest corner of Sibley St. and Walnut St.
  • HCDL-ngp-A002-04-0001_u.jpg

    123 W. Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan -1913
    A. Garland Tailoring - Howell Opera House - The Bennett Hardware Co.
    The building was owned by Arthur Garland.

    Photo shows 1913 store fronts of:
    A Garland Fine Tailoring, address # 217 Grand River Avenue. Signage includes: A. Garland; Garland Tailoring; Foreign & Domestic Woolens
    Two gentlemen in hats stand in the doorway.

    The middle doors are the outside entrance to the Howell Opera House.
    Two gentlemen in hats are passing by on the sidewalk.

    The Bennett Hardware Co.
    Three gentlemen in hats stand in the doorway.
    Business purchased March 1913 by Charles Sutton.

    There are window displays and flag bunting decorating columns and posts.

    Photo is captioned in the 1976 Howell Bicentennial History, pg 178:
    This is the outside entrance to the Opera House. On the left, Garland stands in the entrance to his store, on the right, Bennett and Chas. Sutton (tall one) stand by their hardware store, 1913.

    Can see part of Grand River Avenue and men standing in the entrances to the store fronts.  Current address of Opera House is 123 W Grand River Rd, Howell, MI 48843.
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-0039_u.jpg

    Goodnow Building on the corner of Grand River and Division St. (present day Michigan Ave.) in Howell, Michigan. The Goodnow and Jubb clothing store is in this building. This building later became First National Bank. There is a mixture of horse and buggy and automobiles parked on the streets. View present day building.

    This image was included on First National Bank's 1999 calendar for August.
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-0063_u.jpg

    This image was included on the First National Bank Calendar.  Greenaway Building on the northeast corner of Grand River Avenue and Division Street (Michigan Avenue), with a group of men standing out front at the community drinking fountain.

    Howell, Livingston, Michigan, 1914

    Business names visible are (left to right): Geo. H. Chapel & O. J. P?, Larkin & Kruger Groceries
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2