Browse Items (256 total)
A photo of the Howell High School Band, 1969/1970, Steve Hornyak, Director, Howell High School Bandroom, Howell, Livingston, Michigan.
Front row: Mary Ann Favreau, Donna Keough, Barb Peel, Mary Murninghan, unknown, Jenny Willoughby, Sue Rutkowski, unknown, Kathy Jackson, unknown, Janeen Miller, ?Pat Greenway
Second Row: Colleen Odendahl, Pat Parsons, ?Mary Stewart, Liz Ott, Jim Miner, Kerry Nelson, Dave Andersen, ?Hougaboom, unknown
Third Row: Heather Hampton, unknown, unknown, Martha Burke, unknown, unknown, Bob Orr, unknown, unknown
Back row: unknown, Ron Sredzinski, remaining unknown
In 1999, Howell Chamber of Commerce, Howell, Michigan, celebrated its 50th Anniversary and used a number of photographs to mark the event.
This is a photograph taken 4/24/1985 of the Chamber of Commerce's Home Show held in the Howell High School Gymnasium.
The persons in the photograph are unknown.
This is a photograph of the presentation of a "Womanless Wedding". This play took place at the Howell, High School Auditorium to raise funds during Depression, in the 1930's. The date of the back of the photograph was 1936, and said Charles Sutton played the role of the "Bride".
A search of newspapers.com did not find any accounting of the "Womanless Wedding" being performed or sponsored by the Business Chamber, as it was then known, in 1936. The Livingston County Press reported on two presentations of the "Womanless Wedding" during that decade, the first in 1929, and later in 1940. The following was reported.
The cast members were all male businessmen or professionals from the Howell area. In the Livingston County Press, there are articles detailing and advertising for two such performances. The first took place on April 2 and April 3rd, 1929, sponsored by the Class Ten of the M.E. Church freaturing 80 local men.
On October 1st and 2nd, 1940, the Howell Lions Club sponsored a performance using 70 local men. The play, in its advertisement prior to the event, promised to be "a hilarious farce". The proceeds were to support the Lions Sight program and a portion was donated to McPherson Memorial Hospital to purchase a new oxygen tent.
Both events drew good crowds, according to the reports in the Livingston County Daily Press.
According to Wikipedia, "A womanless wedding is a traditional community "ritual of inversion" performance, popular in the United States in the early 19th century. In this comic ritual, the all male cast would act out all roles of a traditional wedding party – including those of bridesmaids, flower girls, and the mother of the bride – while dressed in gowns and dresses. The event often raised money for charities, civic organizations, and churches."
This is a photograph of the Livingston County Dog Pound, 1100 Butler Blvd, Howell, Michigan.
This is a photograph of the Livingston County Courthouse, Howell, Michigan. The photo was taken from the east side of North Court Street before the amphitheater was built and Court Street was still present.
The exact date of this photograph is unknown.
These photographs were taken during the Memorial Day Parade, Howell, Michigan, May 30, 1947. An article in the Livingston County Press and Argus reported the parade was on Friday, May 30th. The parade left from Howell High School, 305 South Michigan Avenue, Howell and was led by the Howell High School Band. The parade made stops to place wreaths at the Howell Carnegie Library, the Honor Roll Monument, and in Lakeview Cemetery.
Picture 0012, the parade passes through the intersection of South Michigan Avenue and Sibley Street. In the background, the A & P Grocery storefront is visible. The laying of the wreath at the Library is shown in photograph 0009, and pictures 0011, 0008, and 0013 are in Lakeview Cemetery.
Aerial photographs of the grounds at Howell High School, Howell, Michigan, taken in 1980. The new High School was under construction.
This photograph is of Mary Elizabeth Crandall, daughter of L. Harold Crandall, Realtor, 322 East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan, 1949. Miss Crandall is shown playing a harp. She was a 1950 Howell High School graduate; she later married Harry Griffith.