Based on the Livingston Republican article from October 6, 1892 the date should be October 5, 1892.
Based on the 1892 Sanbon Fire Insurance Maps (see both Image 2 and Image3 at the Library of Congress) it was between Main Street (present day State Street) and East Street (present day Michigan Ave.) and Grand River.
The Ladies Library Association of Howell was established in 1875. They operated a lending library from a rented house which was on the back of the square where the present library now stands. By the end of the 19th century their facilities were not large enough to handle the growing population of Livingston County.
Howell Melon Festival started in 1960 as a contest to see who could grow the largest, best tasting and nicest looking melon.
Read the 11th Howell Melon Festival Booklet from 1971 for more history of the Melon Festival.