Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (1 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • HCDL-ngp-C003-03-002_u.jpg

    In this collection of photographs the Walnut Street Methodist Church, 205 South Walnut Street, Howell, Michigan, is being torn down.  The South Kent Wrecking Company of Byron Center, Michigan was contracted for the teardown.  The demolition made way for a parking lot.

    The first Methodist Church in Howell also stood on the same site of this church, on the southeast corner of South Walnut Street and East Sibley Street.  The first church was erected between 1851 and 1854 at a cost of $1500.00.  As early as 1835, the church society had been holding services in the Eagle hotel, then the village schoolhouse, and later in the old courthouse. 

    The Walnut Street Methodist Episcopal Church was chartered in 1873, and merged with Emmanuel Assocation January 1, 1969 to become the First United Methodist Church.

    The 1855 building was moved to a site on 200 block of West Grand River Avenue to make way for the next building about 1890.   That building on Grand River Avenue was used for a multitude of community purposes including a gymnasium and a manufacturing place.  It was last occupied by Wickman Wire Works.  (See item 10143, "200 Block of West Grand River").

    The Walnut Street Methodist Episcopal Church was erected in 1890 at a cost of $18,000.  It served the congregation until December 14, 1969, when they moved to a new home, 1230 Bower Street, Howell, Michigan.  The reasons for building a new church were a growing congregation, and aging, outdated infrastructure.    The new building was consecrated on February 8, 1970.  Rev. Allan G. Gray was the last pastor to serve in that building.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2