Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (78 total)

  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0030_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of the City of Howell Michigan Fire Department participating in firemen games.  The location is North State Street near the First Baptist Church.  The names of the persons and date of the event is unknown.
  • HCDL-bd-howell-downtown_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of downtown Howell, Michigan.   The view is looking west on Grand River Avenue at the intersection of Walnut Street. 

    At 201 West Grand River Avenue, is the Schroeder-Rutka Hardware Store.  The building was built by Fred P. Schroeder about 1911; it is a brick building, 25 x 132 feet, two stories, with a basement and warehouse on the west side. 
    In March 1886, Fred P. Schroeder began the hardware business at Howell, and was located in the Cardell block just across the street north.  In 1911, the business was reorganized and incorporated under the name Schroeder-Rutka Hardware Company.  Fred Schroeder was president, J.H. Rutka, vice president, and J.J. Rutka was secretary-treasurer.   The Library of Congress Sanborn Fire Map for 1911, lists from east to west on the southside of Grand River Avenue, the hardware store, a stock room, undertaker, bike shop, Wickman Wire Works, print shop and produce shop.

    While the date of this photograph is unknown, in the distance is the First Presbyterian Church. The new church was built and began to be occupied in 1915.
  • HCDL-C003-Baptist-Choir2_u.jpg

    First Baptist Church, Howell, Michigan, Front Interior - 1959

    Last Sunday in the old church before razing for new church building. Rev. Merle Meeden

    unknown people
  • HCDL-C003-Baptist-Front-Postcard_u.jpg

    First Baptist Church, Howell, Michigan, Interior - Before 1959

    unknown year
  • HCDL-ngp-T006-09-0011_u.jpg

    Baptist Church in Gregory, Michigan

    unknown year
  • HCDL-ngp-T006-01-0007_u.jpg

    Parshallville, Livingston County, Michigan - 1890. The Methodist church is in the center of the photo and the mill is on the right.
  • HCDL-ngp-T004-07-0017_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of the Howell Ann Arbor Depot, 123 Wetmore Street, Howell, Michigan.  It was a passenger and freight depot owned by the Toledo-Ann Arbor Railroad.

    There is a train appraching the depot platform, and several passengers are waiting for the train.   In the background is the First Baptist Church of Howell.

    The date of the photograph and names of persons are unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-S004-05-0007_u.jpg

    This is a photograph is looking from the First National Bank Building, South Michigan Avenue, Howell Michigan towards the Walnut Street  Methodist Church.  The church was on the southeast corner of South Walnut Street and East Sibley Street.

    The date of the photograph is unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-S004-04-0028_u.jpg

    Photographs of the site of the demolished Walnut Street Methodist Church.  It was being prepared to become a parking lot and is located at the intersection of West Sibley Street & South Walnut Street, Howell, Michigan.  The picture is dated 1972, and is looking northwest with the Episcopal Church in the background.
  • HCDL-ngp-S004-01-0051_u.jpg

    This is a photograph taken of West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan, looking west,  1986.  In view is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 1041 West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2