Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (3 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • HCDL-ngp-T004-08-001_u.jpg

    This photograph is believed to be of the Railroad Construction, Jewitt Street Bridge, C & O Railroad, Howell, Michigan.

    The C & O Railroad was formerly known as the Pere Marquette Railroad.

    This pictures is also in the "Howell Bicentennial History Book and Photographic Supplement", 1992, p. 319.

    The date and names of the persons in the photograph are unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-T004-07-0013_u.jpg

    This is a photograph taken from the "Tunnel Bridge" as it was called.  It was the bridge that goes over the present day CSX Railroad (Toledo & Ann Arbor Railroad, Ann Arbor Railroad) at Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan.  Michigan Avenue was formerly known as Division Street, and East Street.

    The Toledo & Ann Arbor Railroad constructed an 800 foot railroad tunnel in the village of Howell.  The Livingston Republican noted, May 27, 1886, that the tunnel "is undoubtably the longest in Michigan, and the work strengthening its walls has been completed and it is now considered a safer passage for trains".

    The train is going south, is Engine #7.

    George Belfries was the Engineer. The photograph is  J. Potts.

    View Map of Location
  • HCDL-ngp-S004-05-0003_u.jpg

    This photograph was taken in 1902 and depicts the digging of the footings in preparation for a new bridge to cross the Ann Arbor Railroad Tunnel at East Street (Division Street, Michigan Avenue).

    As noted in the December 17th, 1902 edition of the Livingston Republican, "The abutements for the new steel bridge over the tunnel near the Baptist Church are being placed.  The work grading down the sides of the tunnel continues".  

    The new steel bridge was constructed elsewhere and brought to the site to be completed.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2