Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (1033 total)

  • HCDL-ngp-P002-02-0019_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of a pre-1915 Parade in Howell, Michigan.  The view is of north side of West Grand River Avenue.  Storefronts are in the background and in the upper right corner the peak of the Livingston County Courthouse is visible.  Grand River Avenue is unpaved.  

    The date of the parade is unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-S002-21-0029_u.jpg

    Howell High School Baseball, Howell, Michigan - 1966/1967

    unknown players
  • 1986 80th Anniversary Party for Howell Carnegie Library, Howell, Michigan

    1986 80th Anniversary Party for Howell Carnegie Library, Howell, Michigan
    Various library staff members and attendees.
  • HCDL-ngp-F001-02-0004_u.jpg

    This is a photograph that shows a banner, "Livingston County Fair, Short Ship Races, September 23 -25", 1912.

    Activities along Grand River Avenue included sack races, three-legged races, and a race for elderly gentlemen.

    A similar image was included in "Images of America: Howell" by David D. Finney and Judith L. McIntosh, Arcadia Publishing, 2013, page 102.

    Grand River Avenue in 1912 was unpaved. All photos are looking west down Grand River Avenue.
  • HCDL-bd-howell-downtown_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of downtown Howell, Michigan.   The view is looking west on Grand River Avenue at the intersection of Walnut Street. 

    At 201 West Grand River Avenue, is the Schroeder-Rutka Hardware Store.  The building was built by Fred P. Schroeder about 1911; it is a brick building, 25 x 132 feet, two stories, with a basement and warehouse on the west side. 
    In March 1886, Fred P. Schroeder began the hardware business at Howell, and was located in the Cardell block just across the street north.  In 1911, the business was reorganized and incorporated under the name Schroeder-Rutka Hardware Company.  Fred Schroeder was president, J.H. Rutka, vice president, and J.J. Rutka was secretary-treasurer.   The Library of Congress Sanborn Fire Map for 1911, lists from east to west on the southside of Grand River Avenue, the hardware store, a stock room, undertaker, bike shop, Wickman Wire Works, print shop and produce shop.

    While the date of this photograph is unknown, in the distance is the First Presbyterian Church. The new church was built and began to be occupied in 1915.
  • HCDL-bd-nursesschool2_u.jpg

    In 1964, the first graduates of the McPherson Health Center School for Practical Nursing, Howell, Michigan, received their diplomas in a ceremony at Hawkins Elementary School Brighton.   The graduates were twenty-one women.  The School for Practical Nursing was sponsored by the McPherson Health Center where classes were held, and by Brighton and Howell Public Schools.  It was  funded by government funds under the Manpower Retraining Act through 1966.   All of the graduates passed their state board examination and were eligible to be licensed by the State Board of Nursing as Licensed Practical Nurses.   The School for Practical Nursing graduated their last class in 1987.

    In this 1964 photograph, the School of Practical Nursing Class honors its graduating class in the traditional white uniform dress.

    Standing back:  Tami Alexander, unknown, Dorothy Yeagle, unknown, Sydney Morse, Susan Haynes, unknown, unknown, unknown

    Middle row: unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Mary Bugard Korsgren, unknown

    Front Row: unknown, Elaine Woodruff, Emily Janet Rohrabacher, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown
  • HCDL-bd-nursesschool_u.jpg

    In 1964, the first graduates of the McPherson Health Center School for Practical Nursing, Howell, Michigan, received their diplomas in a ceremony at Hawkins Elementary School Brighton.   The graduates were twenty-one women.  The School for Practical Nursing was sponsored by the McPherson Health Center where classes were held, and by Brighton and Howell Public Schools.  It was  funded by government funds under the Manpower Retraining Act through 1966.   All of the graduates passed their state board examination and were eligible to be licensed by the State Board of Nursing as Licensed Practical Nurses.   The School for Practical Nursing graduated their last class in 1987.

    In this 1964 photograph, the School of Practical Nursing Class honors its student nursing class garbed in the Student Nurse Uniform.

    Standing: unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Mary Bugard Korsgren, unknown, Elaine Woodruff, Susan Haynes, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown.

    Seated: unknown, unknown, unknown, Muriel Simmons, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Dorothy Yeagle, Sidney Morse, Emily Janet Rohrabacher, unknown.
  • HCDL-bd-elephants-fair_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of Circus Elephants at the Howell Fairgrounds.  The Livingston Country Agricultural Fair was held at the Fairgrounds near Fair Street and Elm Street in Howell 1853 - 1888.  In 1888, the railroad was built and crossed through the fairgrounds, and from 1898 to 1913, Street fairs were held downtown Howell.  Around 1914, the Fairgrounds northeast of the original area became active. There was a racetrack, and grandstand, and a speaker stand as pictured.  Circuses came to town regularly, and separately from the countywide agricultural fairs.   The name of the circus and date of this photograph are unknown.
  • HCDL-bd-Howell-High-Fight-song_m.jpg

    Howell High School, Howell, Michigan Band Playing the Fight Song at Homecoming

    unknown year
    (HCDL-bd-Howell-High-Fight-song_m.mp4)
  • Left to Right: Judge David Gee, Judge Bert Hensick, Judge Donald Rink, unknown at Livingston County Courthouse, Michigan.

    Judge Stan Latrielle Swearing in Ceremony at the Livingston County Courthouse, Howell, Michigan- 1983. A reception (unknown location) followed and a celebration was held at Judge Stan Latrielle's house afterward.

    In 1982, he ran for Judge for the 44th Circuit Court in Livingston County, Michigan. He held that position for 26 years, 1983-2009.

    Stanley J. Latrielle 1937 - 2009.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2