Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (1 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0010_u.jpg

    On March 16th, 1946, the 100 year old Four Mile House inn, 4020 West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan was destroyed by a fire.  These photographs were taken during and after the fire.

    The March 20th 1946 Edition of the Livingston County Daily Press and Argus described the event.  "The 100 year old Four Mile House, one of the historic landmarks of Livingston County burned to the ground March 16.  Officers were of the opinion the blaze might have been set by boisterous patrons to who the management had refused to sell beer.   The building was erected as a toll gate and later became a stage coach stop on the old plank road.  For a numbers of years, it had been used as a tavern. John Truhn was in charge of the establishment during the absence of Mr. Shelters (Irving), the owner".

    Some time (1942) prior, the front of the building was wrecked by a windstorm, and, the article noted, during the summer months, while awaiting repair, patrons were "served their beer in an open front room".

    Mr. Shelter did rebuild the Four Mile House, and it reopened in November 1946.

    Grand River Avenue is visible in the photographs; the other building is unknown.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2