Browse Items (273 total)
This is a photograph of a pre-1915 Parade in Howell, Michigan. The view is of north side of West Grand River Avenue. Storefronts are in the background and in the upper right corner the peak of the Livingston County Courthouse is visible. Grand River Avenue is unpaved.
The date of the parade is unknown.
This is a photograph that shows a banner, "Livingston County Fair, Short Ship Races, September 23 -25", 1912.
Activities along Grand River Avenue included sack races, three-legged races, and a race for elderly gentlemen.
A similar image was included in "Images of America: Howell" by David D. Finney and Judith L. McIntosh, Arcadia Publishing, 2013, page 102.
Grand River Avenue in 1912 was unpaved. All photos are looking west down Grand River Avenue.
This is a photograph of downtown Howell, Michigan. The view is looking west on Grand River Avenue at the intersection of Walnut Street.
At 201 West Grand River Avenue, is the Schroeder-Rutka Hardware Store. The building was built by Fred P. Schroeder about 1911; it is a brick building, 25 x 132 feet, two stories, with a basement and warehouse on the west side.
In March 1886, Fred P. Schroeder began the hardware business at Howell, and was located in the Cardell block just across the street north. In 1911, the business was reorganized and incorporated under the name Schroeder-Rutka Hardware Company. Fred Schroeder was president, J.H. Rutka, vice president, and J.J. Rutka was secretary-treasurer. The Library of Congress Sanborn Fire Map for 1911, lists from east to west on the southside of Grand River Avenue, the hardware store, a stock room, undertaker, bike shop, Wickman Wire Works, print shop and produce shop.
While the date of this photograph is unknown, in the distance is the First Presbyterian Church. The new church was built and began to be occupied in 1915.
Sections of video listing visible signs of businesses.
- East Grand River South Side - Kroger, Howell Theatre,Midget Sandwich Shop, Goodnow & Jubb, National Hotel, Standard, Cozy Restaurant, Hotel Livingston, Howell Real Estate Agency, Livingston Reality Co. Citizens, Bowman's Variety Store, Adams Department Store, Todaro's Amber Lounge, Standard Office Supply, Adams Family Hair Center, Lathan's, O'Leary's Bakery Dairy Bar, Clear's Pub, Lud-mor Store, Western Auto Associate Store,Goodnow Dry Goods Store, First National Bank, Hausneer Bros. Fine Foods, McPherson State Bank
- West Grand River South Side - Porter Clothing Co., Strobel's Grocery, Line's 5 & 10 Store, D & C, Western Auto, Family Restaurant, Johnson's Drug Store, Schafer's House of Music, Copper Pickle, Opera House, A Garland, Bennett Hardware Co., Chas. H. Sutton Hardware, The Palace Market, M.R.R. Hardware, Shippy's, Main Street Winery, Heller's Flowers, Cobb-Hall Insurance Group, McPherson Oil Co and Service, First Presbyterian Church, Russell Smith Ford, Masonic Temple
- East Grand River North Side - Monroe Bro's, Cook, Larkin & Kruger Grocery, Greenaway Building, Cowdry's Drug Store, Baldwin's Drug Store, Bob's Pharmacy, Leist Sports, Uptown Coffeehouse, Yax Jewelry, Moe's Barber Shop, Gift Shoppe, Donald Jewelers, Dairy Queen, Court House, Citizens Mutual, Bell Telephone Co.
- West Grand River North Side - Howell Carnegie District Library, Larson's Jewelery, Budget Tire Co., Kosin's Glass, Smith Ford Dealership, Baldwin, Line's 5 to 1.00 Store, Richards Electric, DR Electric, Mrs. Eagers Restaurant, Rexall Drugs, Spagnuola's Candy and Ice Cream, Livingston's Drugs, Charles W. Itsell, Dowen Town
- Michigan Ave - Thompson Grist Mill, Mcpherson Mansion, Mcpherson Hospital, Mason Block, Repubican Newspaper, Howell Post Office, Masonic Temple, A.J. Parker & Co.
- Michigan Ave & Sibley Street - Whipple Hotel, Young and Pohly Blacksmith Shop, J.W. Wright & Sons Planing Mill, Post Office, JC's Corner Pocket, Zemper, Central School, Howell High School & Junior High and Michigan Ave Middle School
- State Street (Peanut Row)
- Walnut Street - Post Office, Candy Kitchen, A. F. Peavy and Sons Mill, Lyndon's Studio, Parshall Flour Mill, Howell Co-op, Ten-Cent Barn, Rissman Plumbing & Heating Co.
- Thompson Lake
- Ann Arbor Railroad Howell Depot
Do you know where I stood? This is a video of pictures of various locations at various times in Howell, MichiganA quiz to test your history knowledge of buildings in Howell, Michigan. (HCDL-bd-Do-you-know-where-I-stood_m.mp4)
- State St, Peanut Row
- Consumers Power Co
- Farm Bureau
- Hi Tech Safe
- Leist Sports
- Moe's BarBar
- Anderson's Gifts
- First National Bank
- Flour Mill
- Holkins Lumber
- Swann's Store
- Chemung Hills Country Club
- Borek-Jennings Funeral Home
- Schnackenberg Lamb Funeral Home
- Grand River
- Michigan Avenue
- Sibley St
- Walnut St
- State St
William McPherson Jr. built a palatial home at 922 W Grand River Ave., in Howell, Michigan. In later years, it was purchased by the Golden family, thanks to their grandson Scott Ginsburg, we have a glimpse of the home that was torn down many years ago. Narrated by Scott Ginsburg. (HCDL-bd-922-W-Grand-River_m.mp4)
Harry Ginsberg and Eleanor Ginsberg were the parents of Scott Ginsberg. The Ginsberg family started and owned several businesses in Howell.
This is a photograph of the Russell D. Smith Ford Dealership, 401 West Grand River Avenue, just west of Walnut Street, Howell, Michigan.
The year of the photograph and names of the persons in the photograph are unknown.
This is a photograph of Andy Parker's Machine Shop and Garage, located on the south Side of West Grand River Avenue, 1915. The person standing in the car was identified as Andrew E. Parker. The names of the others in the photograph are unknown.
Andrew E. Parker was born in 1873 in Oceola, Livingston, Michigan, and died in May 1946.
Read Livingston County Press May 8, 1946 Obituary (In Library Use Only)