Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (26 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • Unknown maintenance person

    Photographs of labeled McPherson Hospital, Howell, Michigan in 1958. The persons in most of the photographs are unknown.

    McPherson Memorial Hospital  operated from 1928 to 1958 in the converted mansion given to the City of Howell by the McPherson family, which was located on North Michigan Avenue.  In 1958, McPherson Community Health Center opened as a brand new hospital at 620 Byron Road, Howell, Michigan.
  • HCDL-ngp-H005-05-0015_u.jpg

    McPherson Hospital was located on N. Michigan Ave and Clinton St in Howell, Michigan in 1955
  • HCDL-ngp-H005-05-0014_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of Mellus Hospital, 218 East Grand River Avenue, Brighton, Michigan.  Mellus Hospital was built by Dr. Horace Mellus, and dedicated on February 11, 1931. 

    Mellus Hospital was later the Christian Education Building of the Presbyterian Church, then Michigan Bank, then Leah Gold, and finally became the home of the Brighton Chamber of Commerce for Brighton.
  • HCDL-ngp-H005-05-0012_u.jpg

    Exterior view of a fire escape at McPherson Hospital in 1953
  • HCDL-ngp-H005-05-0011_u.jpg

    The E. G. McPherson $30,000 residential property to be transformed.
  • HCDL-ngp-H005-05-0001_u.jpg

    This is a photograph from the April 2, 1955 "victory dinner" when the non-profit corporation for the purpose of raising funds for the construction of a new hospital facility met their goal of $698,736.   Robert Akin was the general chairman of the Hospital Development Committee.

    According to the 1988 Annual Report of McPherson Hospital,  Howell, Michigan, with matching federal funds, this fundraising campaign enabled planners to go ahead with their plans to build a 75 bed hospital at a cost of $1,267,000.

    The location of the banquet and the persons in the photographs are unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-H005-04-0001_u.jpg

    This group of photographs were taken on the grounds of the Michigan State Sanatorium, Howell, Michigan.  The views are of several buildings, exterior and interior.  It was also known as Howell Sanatorium and later Hillcrest Center.

    This tuberculosis treatment center opened in 1931.

    Livingston County Press & Argus/image/454596414/?terms=%22Michigan%20State%20Sanatorium%22&match=1 (in library use only).

    The dates of these photographs are unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-H005-01-0001_u.jpg

    Livingston County Infirmary located on Thompson Lake, also known as Howell Lake
  • HCDL-ngp-F004-01-0001_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of the window in Fred Cronenwett's office, greeting fellow Rotarian Henry Winkelhaus who was hospitalized at McPherson Memorial Hospital.  Cronenwett was Chief of Police and his office was in the 100 block of North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan.  The window read, "Hello Henry", and the date was May 12, 1947.  Henry Winkelhaus was a local florist.
  • HCDL-ngp-D003-02-0094_u.jpg

    These portraits are of Karol Granowski, M.D., Radiologist, and his wife, Regina Leszczynska Granowski,  1975.

    Dr. Granowski was Chief of Radiology at McPherson Community Hospital (Trinity Health), Howell, Michigan, from 1965 until his retirement in 1989.

    Livingston County Daily Press & Argus/image/455289472/?terms=%22Dr.%20Granowski%22&match=1 (in library use only)
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2