Browse Items (36 total)
This photograph of a gasoline service station was then a Sunoco Station, and was located at 704 East Grand River Avenue, at the corner of Grand River Avenue and Almon Streets.
The exact date of this photograph is unknown.
This building had several previous owners including Red's Leonard Service (1951), Clester's Sun-O-Co Service Station (1961), Dave Lanning Leonard Service (1961), Leonard Petroleum, (Jake Gehringer and Walt Germain, 1963), Rogers Oil Company (Byron Rogers, 1964), Akin-Akin Inc, (Insurance Company 1968), Towns Pillar Real Estate (1973), and Parker and Parker Law Offices (Robert Parker and Dona Scott Parker).
This photograph is of the southside of the 600 block of East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan, and was taken as part of documentation for the R/UDAT Study, 1984. In view is 611 East Grand River Avenue, which is now home to the City of Howell Police Department, and City Hall. It also housed a bank, and several business offices.
In 1983, the Howell Area Chamber of Commerce applied for a R/UDAT (Regional/Urban Design Assistance Team) study, an American Institute of Architects program that brought a team of professionals to the city for a four-day period to study Howell's downtown, its ability to compete for regional shopping, and to make recommendations for improvements to re-vitalize the city. The team, in 1984, during the study took photographs, interviewed people, held forums, and in the end provided an outline of strategies.
American Institute of Architects Regional/Urban Design Assistance Team
Sardis Hubbell was the mayor of Howell, Michigan multiple times between 1859 and 1882 (1859-1860, 1873, 1877-1880 and 1882). He was also a judge and attorney in Livingston County, Michigan.
Read more about him in the following:
- History of Livingston Co. Michigan with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Prominent Men and Pioneers (Part 1 of 2)
- The 1868 History of Howell Michigan
- Livingston County Directory for the Years 1873-4
- A History of the Township and Village of Howell Michigan -1911
- The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 (Part 1 of 3)
- The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 (Part 2 of 3)
- Old Howell and Piety Hill-1964
- A Walk Through Time: Seven Walking Tours of Howell, Michigan with Extra
NOTE: This is a photo taken of a photo, not from original negative.
This is a photograph of a receipt for Dennis Shields who purchased a burial plot at the St. Joseph Catholic Church, Cemetery, known as the Howell Catholic Cemetery, 1898. Dennis Shields, attorney, Howell, Michigan, died August 28, 1898. He is now buried in the Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Howell, which was established in 1914. The date of purchase of this cemetery plot is September 1, 1898.
According to the book, "Mt Olivet Cemetery Tombstone Transcriptions", August 1992, published by the Livingston County Genealogical Society, the first Catholic Cemetery in Howell was established March 14, 1891 when the Howell Catholic Cemetery Association purchased a 4.25 acre parcel of land from Charles E. and Katherine Itsell of Genoa township for the cost of $250. The parcel was located on the west side of Chilson Road (formerly known as Ann Arbor Road), 600 feet south of the Old Grand River Road in section six of Genoa township.
The LCGS did not find the names of the individuals interred in the present (1992) church records. They concluded that sometime around 1900, remains were re-interred in other cemeteries although there are no know records or plats of the old cemetery and no history of removal and re-interment of those remains. Later, the land was sold to several private individuals for home sites, and homes are located there now.
https://www.newspapers.com/image/legacy/453541520/?terms=%22Dennis%20Shields%22&match=1 (in library use only)
Portraits of Stanley Latrielle, Attorney and Circuit Court Judge, Livingston County, Michigan - 1982Portraits of Stanley Latrielle, Attorney and Circuit Court Judge, Livingston County, Michigan - 1982
A portrait of Dave McClernan, attorney, 1978
A portrait of Francis Barron, Probate Judge, Livingston County, Michigan - 1960.
Francis Barron was born in Howell, Livingston, Michigan in 1911, and died in Arizona is 1975.
Francis Barron was an attorney, former Municipal Judge for Howell, and Probate Judge in Livingston County, 1961 -1968.
John Pikkarainen, Attorney, Livingston County, Michigan, 1982
A portrait of Judge Willis Lyons in 1935.
He was born in 1877 and died in 1970. He held the following positions:
- Livingston County, Michigan Clerk
- Livingston County, Michigan Prosecutor
- Livingston County, Michigan Probate Judge
- Livingston County, Michigan Circuit Judge