Browse Items (88 total)
This is a photograph taken during the visit by General Douglas MacArthur, Howell, Michigan, May 16, 1952. There was a brief procession from the Library, and in this photograph, several men are greeting the General. Mayor Charles Sutton accompanied the General, and top right is Clifton Heller. The names of the others are unknown. The photograph was taken on East Grand River Avenue, Howell, with First National Bank in the background.
Livingston County Daily Press & Argus/image/454529766/?terms=macarthur&match=1 (in library use only)
This is a photograph of the interior of the N.E. Miner and Sons General Store, Cohoctah, Michigan. It was included in the 1976 Howell Bicentennial History Book. The store owner, Norris E. Miner, is on the right, and to the left is long time clerk, George Killin. The store also housed the Cohoctah Post Office for many years. Rolland Miner was postmaster from 1919 to 1950. In 1944, the store was sold, and the post office moved across the street to what was known as the bank building.
This photograph appeared in the August 28, 1963 issue of the Livingston County Press, and was originally published February 13, 1935. Thomas Cotter found a copy of this photograph in 1935 while going through the effects of his late mother, Mrs. Emma Watkins. Mrs. Watkins died in 1934, and lived for many years on Fowler Street. The photograph was said to have been made by photographer, W. E. Cleave and older persons in the community estimated it was made sometime between 1865 and 1870. The photograph was later taken by Ed Beach and Wilbur Johnson to L. Nelson to be enlarged.
The view is from the top of Union School and is looking north towards the intersection of Grand River Avenue and Michigan Avenue (Division Street). The exact year is unknown.
A full description of the buildings in this picture are included in the 1935 Article. The buildings include a hotel, bank, dry goods store, grocery, print shop, Masonic Hall, barber shop, and in the distance three buildings on what was then the Bowers farm.
W.E. Cleave photo (in library use only)
Tale of Progress Told by Picture February 1935 article (in library use only)
This is a photograph of the building at 201 South Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan. It housed the Paul Hougaboom State Farm Insurance Agency. Also in view are cars on South Michigan Avenue, the Drive Through Branch of the First National Bank, on the northeast corner of Sibley Street and South Michigan Avenue, Christmas garland on the street lamp, the back of the buildings on the south side of East Grand River Avenue, and the Livingston County Courthouse.
There is also signage for the intersection of M-155 and Business Loop I-96.
The exact date is unknown but believed to be in the 1970's.
This image was included in the 1st National Bank calendar, 2/1995.
Captioned: "In parade, Civil War Veterans marching through Howell in 1912. The First State Savings & Bank, in the background, merged with First National Bank in 1946."
View: facing south, on East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan.
Names of Veterans: unknown
Slayton Chrysler and Plymouth - 1928
Looking east at cars parked on the west side of First National Bank, Howell, corner of Grand River Avenue and Michigan Avenue, known locally as the Main Four.
Photo was part of Display, First National Bank, Michigan Ave., Howell
This is a photograph is looking from the First National Bank Building, South Michigan Avenue, Howell Michigan towards the Walnut Street Methodist Church. The church was on the southeast corner of South Walnut Street and East Sibley Street.
The date of the photograph is unknown.
This is a photograph of the Drive Thru Branch of the First National Bank, Howell, Michigan, 1975. This branch was located at the intersection of South Michigan Avenue and East Sibley Street. In the background is the Walnut Street Methodist Church and the U.S. Post Office on South Walnut Street.