Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (8582 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • HCDL-ngp-C008-05-0072_u.jpg

    This is a nice detail picture of the windows in the commercial buildings on West Grand River, including Spagnuolo's, Howell, Michigan - 1984
  • HCDL-ngp-S003-09-0008_u.jpg

    This is a photograph from the Downtown Howell Michigan collection, dated 1984.

    The name and exact location of this building is unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-S003-09-0012_u.jpg

    This is a photograph in the Downtown Howell Michigan collection, dated 1984.  The exact location of this photograph is unknown but may be the parking lot near  the northeast corner of Sibley Street and South Michigan Avenue.

    Vehicles noted.
  • HCDL-ngp-O001-11-0017_u.jpg

    These portraits are of Lowell Allen who was electred the Exalted Ruler of the Howell Elks, Howell, Michigan, 1980.
    Tags ,
  • HCDL-ngp-P006-01-0016_u.jpg

    This is an aerial photograph of the Page Field Area, Howell, Michigan,  1964.

    The view is looking north with Page Field, and Northeast Elementary School to the west, and Thompson Lake to the east.  Roosevelt Street is visible running north to south.
  • HCDL-ngp-C005-12-001_u.jpg

    City of Howell Sewage Disposal Refuse Building 1944
  • HCDL-ngp-C002-03-0001_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of the presentation of a "Womanless Wedding".   This play took place at the Howell, High School Auditorium to raise funds during Depression, in the 1930's.  The date of the back of the photograph was 1936, and said Charles Sutton played the role of the "Bride".

    A search of newspapers.com did not find any accounting of the "Womanless Wedding" being performed or sponsored by the Business Chamber, as it was then known, in 1936.  The Livingston County Press reported on two presentations of the "Womanless Wedding" during that decade, the first in 1929, and later in 1940.   The following was reported.

    The cast members were all male businessmen or professionals from the Howell area.  In the Livingston County Press, there are articles detailing and advertising for two such performances.  The first took place on April 2 and April 3rd, 1929, sponsored by the Class Ten of the M.E. Church freaturing 80 local men.

    On October 1st and 2nd, 1940, the Howell Lions Club sponsored a performance using 70 local men.  The play, in its advertisement prior to the event, promised to be "a hilarious farce".  The proceeds were to support the Lions Sight program and a portion was donated to McPherson Memorial Hospital to purchase a new oxygen tent.

    Both events drew good crowds, according to the reports in the Livingston County Daily Press.

    According to Wikipedia,  "womanless wedding is a traditional community "ritual of inversion" performance, popular in the United States in the early 19th century. In this comic ritual, the all male cast would act out all roles of a traditional wedding party – including those of bridesmaids, flower girls, and the mother of the bride – while dressed in gowns and dresses.  The event often raised money for charities, civic organizations, and churches."   
  • HCDL-ngp-D003-02-0001_u.jpg

    Doc May was a well known physician and melon grower in Howell, Michigan. He was one of the instrumental people behind the Howell Melon Festival.
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-0083_u.jpg

    This image titled "Howell Lake" was included in the 1st National Bank Calendar.

    This is a photo of Thompson Lake, also known as Howell Lake, about 1897.
  • HCDL-ngp-B001-01-022_u.jpg

    "Jackie" Band in a parade going west on Grand River in Howell, Michigan. Left most building is on the north-east corner of Walnut St. and Grand River. View present day location.

    A "Jackie" band was part of the larger John Phillip Sousa Navy Band.  They toured the country as part of the movement to sell Liberty Loan bonds during World War I. 

    Can see store fronts for Johnson's Drug Store, Chapel's Jewelery with awning also showing Optician, a sign with Cigars and Soda, awning showing Martyns, Howell Radio Shoppe, and Cash Grocery. The side of the Johnson's Drug Store building has a Wrigley's Spearmint Gum ad and a partial sign for Drug & Book Store.

Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2