Skip to main content
Digital Archive of the Howell Carnegie Library Archives

Browse Items (10202 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • Russell Smith Ford Sales & Service, 401 West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan

    These photographs are of the Russell Smith Ford Sales & Service Dealership, 401 West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan.  They were also a "Hi-Speed" Gasoline Station.

    They are advertising "Out They Go" sales of used cars; two older Fordson Tractors are in the scene.  The names of the people and exact date are unknown but thought to be ~1941.
  • Knights Templar Conclave Parade in Howell, Michigan - 1913

    This is a photograph of a parade heading east on East Grand River Avenue at the Livingston County Courthouse. The Knights Templar are in the foreground, and is likely the Howell Commandery No. 28.

    Also in the photograph are buggies, onlookers, early cars, and the signage of the Temple Theater.   A color guard unit is following the Knights Templar.

    In 1913 the Knights Templar Organization held their annual Conclave (convention) in Howell, Michigan. As members of the socity gathered from everywhere in the state and each unit marched through Howell, Michigan in a gala parade.

    The names of the persons are unknown.  It is noted that Grand River is unpaved; Grand River Avenue was paved in 1915.
  • M041 Obituaries Book

    Contains Stockbridge Crostick obituaries also se Township box.
  • M042 Obituaries Book

    Contains Stockbridge Crostick obituaries also se Township box.
  • Fire on Block East of East St. and North  of Grand River Howell, Michigan - October 5, 1892

    Photos showing the fire that happened on October 5, 1892 on the block east of East St. (present day Michigan Ave.) and North of Grand River in Howell, Michigan. The damage was estimated at $50,000.  Frank Hickey and Ed Wines perished. Some businesses shown in the photos are Ed K. Johnson Drugs and Henry C. Briggs Jeweler. They are both in the same building that was built in 1889. Current address of that building is 112 E Grand River Rd, Howell, MI 48843. This entire block had burned in 1887.

    There is an additional photo "The Champion Fire Extinguisher During the Fire of 1892" on page 127 of The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 Part 2.

    View page page 122 of The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 Part 2 for another picture after the fire.

    View the Exhibit this Item is related to.
  • Portrait of George Armstrong Custer in St. Louis, Missouri -1873

    A photo of George Armstrong Custer 1839-1876 taken in 1873 in St. Louis, Missouri by J.A. Scholten
    Tags ,
  • The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 (Part 1 of 3) Pages 1-222
  • The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 (Part 2 of 3) Pages 223-421
  • The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 (Part 3 of 3) Pages 422-448 plus index
  • The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 Photo Supplement (Part 1 of 2) Pages 1-176
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2