Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Photos - Places

Title

Photos - Places

Collection Items

  • HCDL-ngp-A002-04-0001_u.jpg

    123 W. Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan -1913
    A. Garland Tailoring - Howell Opera House - The Bennett Hardware Co.
    The building was owned by Arthur Garland.

    Photo shows 1913 store fronts of:
    A Garland Fine Tailoring, address # 217 Grand River Avenue. Signage includes: A. Garland; Garland Tailoring; Foreign & Domestic Woolens
    Two gentlemen in hats stand in the doorway.

    The middle doors are the outside entrance to the Howell Opera House.
    Two gentlemen in hats are passing by on the sidewalk.

    The Bennett Hardware Co.
    Three gentlemen in hats stand in the doorway.
    Business purchased March 1913 by Charles Sutton.

    There are window displays and flag bunting decorating columns and posts.

    Photo is captioned in the 1976 Howell Bicentennial History, pg 178:
    This is the outside entrance to the Opera House. On the left, Garland stands in the entrance to his store, on the right, Bennett and Chas. Sutton (tall one) stand by their hardware store, 1913.

    Can see part of Grand River Avenue and men standing in the entrances to the store fronts.  Current address of Opera House is 123 W Grand River Rd, Howell, MI 48843.
  • HCDL-H004-Briggs-Backyard_u.jpg

    Backyard of Briggs House in Howell, Michigan.
    Tags
  • HCDL-H004-Briggs-Postcard_u.jpg

    A postcard showing downtown Howell, Michigan sent to a Mrs. H.G. Briggs in Chicago, Illinois postmarked March 4, 1898. The streets are unpaved with horses and buggies, bicycles, and people walking. Visible business signs of an undertaker, Goodnow and Beach, Goodnow & Jubb, McPhersons Bank, and Porter Clothing Co. Partial sign with word Cigar.

    Postcard reads: "If you have a magnifying glass you can tell who those boys are on the corner especially the one with the wheel."
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-01-0003_u.jpg

    A photo of the Architectual drawing of the proposed new home of the First Federal Savings and Loan , 1967.

    The address of the new office building was 611 East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan.
    Tags ,
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-01-0004_u.jpg

    A photo of the First Federal Savings and Loan building, at 1255 E. Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan,  1961.
    Tags ,
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-001a_u.jpg

    This image is from the First National Bank Calendar Photos and features a Blacksmith shop on West Main Street, 1895 - Colt Park Agency now located here. (510 West Grand River Avenue,Brighton, Michigan).

    The sign above the Blacksmith shop reads, "Cook & Shannon"  Wagon Carriage, General Blacksmithing.

    William Henry Shannon, born 1841 Ontario, and died 1934 in Brighton, Michigan was a blacksmith in Brighton.

    Person standing in photograph, unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-002_u.jpg

    This photograph was included in First National Bank Calendar Photos.  It is a photograph of the Kroger Grocery and Baking Company.  Kroger had stores in Fowlerville, Howell and Brighton by 1930.  This photograph is likely of the store is Howell as its address before 1930 was 110 N. Michigan, Howell, Michigan.  In the photo, the address of 111 is visible.

    Later, Krogers relocated to 321 East Grand River, Howell.  In December 1930, the Livingston Republican published an article, stating, "Kroger Grocery & Bakery Company vacated the first floor in the Barnes building.  Work was commenced immediately to prepare the building to house the modern print shop" of the Livingston County Republican. 

    Manager in 1929 was Carl Schadel who in 1930 purchased the Paul Brogan grocery.  Walter Hagni, later, who had also been in charge of the Michigan Avenue Kroger store was transferred to the Grand River store in Howell. 

    unknown people
    date unknown
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-0036_u.jpg

    Photos of the First National Bank, 101 East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Livingston, Michigan - 1962

    Also see Goodnows next door.
    Tags ,
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-0038_u.jpg

    A photo of the First National Bank, West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Livingston, Michigan - next to Dime Store.

    Date unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-0039_u.jpg

    Goodnow Building on the corner of Grand River and Division St. (present day Michigan Ave.) in Howell, Michigan. The Goodnow and Jubb clothing store is in this building. This building later became First National Bank. There is a mixture of horse and buggy and automobiles parked on the streets. View present day building.

    This image was included on First National Bank's 1999 calendar for August.