Howell Area Archives Digital Archive

Browse Items (18 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0018_u.jpg

    Photos showing the fire that happened on October 5, 1892 on the block east of East St. (present day Michigan Ave.) and North of Grand River in Howell, Michigan. The damage was estimated at $50,000.  Frank Hickey and Ed Wines perished. Some businesses shown in the photos are Ed K. Johnson Drugs and Henry C. Briggs Jeweler. They are both in the same building that was built in 1889. Current address of that building is 112 E Grand River Rd, Howell, MI 48843. This entire block had burned in 1887.

    There is an additional photo "The Champion Fire Extinguisher During the Fire of 1892" on page 127 of The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 Part 2.

    View page page 122 of The Howell Bicentennial History 1776-1976 Part 2 for another picture after the fire.

    View the Exhibit this Item is related to.
  • HCDL-ngp-B002-02-0107_u.jpg

    New fire escape behind Masonic Hall, Howell, Michigan. Building is the First National Bank Building.- 1882
    Tags ,
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0002_u.jpg

    These photographs were taken at the fire at Howell Tire Company, 215 South Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan,  August 1959.  Five persons were injured when a wall fell upon them.  The business was a total loss.

    Howell Tire Company was owned by Jack Mauls.  The names of the persons in the pictures are unknown.

    The Livingston Daily Press & Argus/image/453764056/?terms=%22Howell%20Tire%22%20%20%20%20%20fire%22&match=1 (in library use only)
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0008_u.jpg

    This is a photograph of a barn fire north of Howell, Michigan, 1953.

    The date and exact location are unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0010_u.jpg

    On March 16th, 1946, the 100 year old Four Mile House inn, 4020 West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan was destroyed by a fire.  These photographs were taken during and after the fire.

    The March 20th 1946 Edition of the Livingston County Daily Press and Argus described the event.  "The 100 year old Four Mile House, one of the historic landmarks of Livingston County burned to the ground March 16.  Officers were of the opinion the blaze might have been set by boisterous patrons to who the management had refused to sell beer.   The building was erected as a toll gate and later became a stage coach stop on the old plank road.  For a numbers of years, it had been used as a tavern. John Truhn was in charge of the establishment during the absence of Mr. Shelters (Irving), the owner".

    Some time (1942) prior, the front of the building was wrecked by a windstorm, and, the article noted, during the summer months, while awaiting repair, patrons were "served their beer in an open front room".

    Mr. Shelter did rebuild the Four Mile House, and it reopened in November 1946.

    Grand River Avenue is visible in the photographs; the other building is unknown.
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0029_u.jpg

    These photographs are of 809 North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan, January 1962, following a housefire at this address.  Dr. Hollis Sigler perished in the fire.

    The Livingston Daily Press & Argus/image/454345935/?terms=%22Sigler%20fire%22  (in library use only).
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0032_u.jpg

    A photo of the Hotel Livingston on fire. A chimney in the building set fire to the dining room celing. There was little damage done to the building by the time firefighters were able to extinguish it. 
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0033_u.jpg

    These photographs were taken at the Harold Price farm, 2858 Chilson Road, Howell, Michigan, October 1964, as his barn burned.   

    Livingston County Press & Argus/image/453802057/?terms=%22Chilson%20%22%20%20Fire&match=1 (in library use only).
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0036_u.jpg

    These photographs are of the fire at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Alizon,  2925 West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan, March 8, 1954.  The house was built in 1927, and was deemed a total loss.

    The Livingston County Press and Argus, image/453654829/?terms=%22Alizon&match=1 (in library use only).
  • HCDL-ngp-F003-01-0041_u.jpg

    These photographs were taken of the October 21st, 1947 fire at the Howell Bowling Alleys, Howell, Michigan.  The names of the persons in the pictures are unknown.

    The owner of the "Howell Bowling Alleys" was Charles Domine.  Several months later, construction was started on a new bowling alley on East Grand River Avenue near Fair Street.  The building was the property of Fred Cronenwett, and was adjacent to the Ude Sweet Shoppe at 213 East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan.

    The Livingston County Press & Argus/image/454007351/?terms=%22bowling%20alley%22fire&match=1  (in library use only).
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2